Studying marine engineering in Turkey is one of the most prominent engineering disciplines offered by Turkish universities.
Understanding All the Information Needed for Marine Engineering Studies in Turkey
Studying marine engineering in Turkey is one of the most prominent engineering disciplines offered by Turkish universities. The study program spans four academic years, and students have the option to continue their studies to pursue a master’s and doctoral degree in this field.
The curriculum revolves around everything related to ships, structures operating in water, maritime vehicles, and marine engines in terms of their types and quality.
It also keeps pace with advancements and new research. Graduates of marine engineering are conferred with titles such as maritime engineer, ship engineer, or offshore platform engineer.
They can work in various technical and diverse fields, with employment opportunities available both in Turkey and abroad.
Key Highlights of Marine Engineering Studies in Turkey:
- Graduates of marine engineering have the ability to design and build ships.
- The field of marine engineering includes experts in operating nuclear power plants.
- It involves designing and constructing offshore platforms used in gas and petroleum extraction.
- Manufacturing marine engines of various types for military, tourist, container, grain, and livestock ships.
- Monitoring and overseeing the operation of ship engines during long voyages.
- Marine engineering graduates excel in marine engine maintenance and ship electrical and electronic systems.
- Graduates of marine engineering have a preference in the job market.
- Studying marine engineering is also ideal for travel enthusiasts, as they can explore various countries through sea travel.
Why Study Marine Engineering in Turkey?
Studying marine engineering in Turkey equips you with comprehensive knowledge in the field, making you well-prepared and knowledgeable in all aspects of marine engineering.
The university curriculum covers the following subjects:
– Hydrodynamics and the physical and chemical properties of water
– Ship structural analysis, construction, and stability, as well as surface equipment
– Marine diesel engine sciences and naval armament technology
– Global standards related to shipbuilding organizations and institutions
– Design sciences
– Mechanics and engineering drawing
– Coastal engineering
– Offshore platform construction and maritime regulations
– Focus on industrial safety and security
Personal Skills and Attributes Acquired from Marine Engineering Studies in Turkey:
– Proficiency in studying sciences, engineering, and mathematics
– Ability to conduct experiments and analyze data accurately
– Capability to create systems to meet the needs of vehicle manufacturing and more
– Collaboration with multidisciplinary teams most of the time
– Problem-solving skills by identifying issues
– Ability to handle responsibility, both ethically and professionally
– Effective communication and interaction with others
Duration of Marine Engineering Studies in Turkey:
Marine engineering studies in Turkey are typically divided into four years, consisting of eight academic semesters.
In case a student does not present an English language proficiency certificate, an additional year of English language preparatory study may be required.
Postgraduate studies last for two consecutive years for a master’s degree and an additional two years for a doctoral degree.
Roles and Specializations in Marine Engineering:
The roles vary based on the type of bachelor’s degree and include:
– Ship Engineer: Involved in building and repairing civil, military, or commercial ships.
– Maritime Engineer: Responsible for machinery on ships, including engines, machines, and surface ship equipment.
– Offshore Platform Engineer: Involved in the construction of commercial offshore platforms for petroleum and natural gas extraction.
Professional Practices in the Field of Marine Engineering in Turkey:
Marine machinery and ship engine sciences encompass all maritime machinery in various fields.
Facilities related to marine engineering are found on the surface of the Earth.
Marine engineering studies focus on keeping up with new developments in the field.
Marine engineering education teaches students to handle ships, maritime agencies, and port management.
Students learn principles of computer engineering, electrical engineering, and mechanical engineering to apply them in shipbuilding, control systems, and ocean technology.
Marine engineering graduates are skilled in maintaining marine engines and ship electrical and electronic equipment.
Strong scientific background in internal combustion processes and diesel engine sciences.
Monitoring and quality control to ensure adherence to industry standards in shipbuilding and maintenance.
Supervision of ship engine design, manufacturing, and various marine engine types.
Graduates of marine engineering can also work in other fields related to electrical and mechanical engineering or in administrative roles.
Admission Requirements for Marine Engineering Studies in Turkey:
To be eligible, you need to have a high school diploma with a GPA exceeding 50%. Turkish private universities do not require special admission exams, but most universities do require students to demonstrate English language proficiency.
Postgraduate Opportunities in the Field of Marine Engineering in Turkey:
– Master’s in Hydrographic Surveying
– Master’s in Maritime Safety
– Master’s in Marine Environmental Protection
– Master’s in Advanced Navigation
– Master’s in Marine Surveying
Additionally, after completing a master’s degree, you can pursue a doctoral degree by conducting research and defending a doctoral thesis at the university.
For further details about the specialization you wish to pursue or to submit your application, you can contact us through our dedicated team of experienced consultants.